So, as we’ve covered already, I haven’t been feeling too braw. I gave the British method of combatting everything with a stiff upper lip and steadfast denial a go, but when that failed to make me feel even a little bit better, I decided that maybe I should go get some help. So, for the past three weeks, I’ve been taking part in an online course designed to help you identify and combat unhelpful thoughts and behaviours.
As it turns out, I have quite a lot of those.
So, in the interest of science and mental health, here is a list of unhelpful thoughts that I have pretty much every single day.
- “If my life was a horror movie, this is totally where I’d be murdered.”
- “Is that man looking at me weird because he can hear my thoughts and is appalled by my weirdness?” *Screams inside head and watches for a reaction*
- “Is my rabbit really fulfilled?”
- “Can I put peanut butter on that?”
- “I wonder if I should quit my job and go audition for Frozen on Broadway.”
- “Maybe I should go blonde.”
- “Maybe I should cut my hair short.”
- “Maybe I should get a tattoo.”
- “I like my new Facebook cover photo, but does it really say enough about who I am as a person?”
- “Imagine there was an axe-murderer behind this door/in my wardrobe/behind the shower curtain/standing at my window/under my bed.”
- “I’d probably make a pretty awesome spy.”
- “Why does Phil make Hercules bulk up when he’s already super strong?”
- “Maybe I should take a nap.”
- “It’s been a while since I encountered an enormous, terrifying spider. That’ll probably happen soon.”
- “Maybe if I buy new stationery, my life will improve.”
- “Maybe if I buy a blazer, I’ll become the type sophisticated girl who wears blazers.”
- “I am so funny. I wonder if anyone would pay me just for being this hilarious.”
- “Maybe Pinterest has the answer.”
- “This situation will be better if I paint my nails again.”
With all this junk floating around my brain, it’s no wonder I’m not functioning properly. Although the junk isn’t really a recent thing. Maybe I’ve always been a little bit crazy.
In all seriousness, the course I’m taking has been super-helpful so far and it’s free, so if anyone else is feeling low, check it out here.